Serve delicious, refreshing and cool cookout desserts at your next summer bash. Cookout desserts are often an afterthought menu item for an outdoor celebration because the focus is always on the grilled dishes. Avoid this and make dessert the grand finale at your party by including a variety of cool treats and chocolate sweets that will be satisfying and refreshing on a hot summer night.
Here are four fabulous cookout dessert recipes to try out at your next backyard celebration:
- Homemade Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches: This dessert is a frozen twist on cookies and milk that is perfect for a cookout with kids.
- 1 package pre-made chocolate chip cookie dough
- 1 bag mini chocolate chips
- Multi-colored sprinkles
- 1 gallon vanilla ice cream
Make the cookies as directed and let cool. While the cookies are cooling, take your ice cream out of the freezer to soften. Take a heaping tablespoon of ice cream and place it on the flat side of one cookie. Flatten slightly and top with another cookie (flat side down). Roll the sides of the ice cream sandwich in the mini chocolate chips or sprinkles. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap and place in the freezer until ready to serve.
- Watermelon Granita: Watermelon is a dessert staple for any cookout. Turn up the volume on this ordinary recipe by making this frozen treat that is refreshing and easy to make.
- 1 large watermelon
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
Cut the watermelon into cubed pieces, removing the rind. Make a syrup by boiling one cup of water and one cup of sugar together. When the mixture comes to boil, reduce heat to simmer until thickened. Remove the syrup from the heat and let cool. In a blender or food processor, combine the watermelon and syrup. Pour the mixture into a metal cake pan and place in the freezer for 5-6 hours or until completely frozen. To serve, scrape the frozen treat from the pan using a fork or spoon and scoop into bowls. Garnish with a mint leaf and serve.
- Berry Fruit Parfaits: This cookout dessert idea uses seasonal fruits that are tart and delicious. The best part about this dessert is that it can be made in advance - a perfect potluck dish.
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 cups sliced peaches
- 2 cups strawberry yogurt
- ½ heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. confection sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
In a large mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream and vanilla extract until it becomes thick and frothy. Add the strawberry yogurt to the mixture and fold together until combined. In a separate bowl, add the fruit, lemon juice and sugar. Mix together until the fruit is evenly coated. To assemble the parfaits, layer the yogurt and fruit into glass cups. Make sure the top layer is fruit. Chill the parfaits until ready to serve.
- S’mores Sundae: S’mores are a classic cookout dessert, but can be messy to eat. S’mores sundae’s combine all the flavors of the graham crackers, chocolate and gooey marshmallow without the hassle. This recipe idea especially perfect for a kid cookout because they can help assemble!
- 1 gallon vanilla ice cream
- 1 jar hot fudge
- 1 box graham crackers
- 1 jar marshmallow spread
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
To assemble the s’mores sundaes, start with a two or three scopes of vanilla ice cream in a bowl or cup. Top the ice cream with crumbled graham crackers, hot fudge, a spoonful of marshmallow spread and mini marshmallows. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Summer cookout desserts are the perfect ending to the perfect night with friends and family. Go all out and create a dessert bar with all of the above cookout desserts!