Cinco de Mayo Party Theme
Whether it is the fifth of May or because you just want to host a fiesta, a Cinco de Mayo party theme is a terrific way to add some spice to your event. Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in Mexico and other areas around the world where there are people with a Mexican heritage.
This holiday is a great opportunity to celebrate the culture and experiences of Mexico and Mexican-Americans and party with your friends and family. There are many different ideas for a Cinco de Mayo party that you can incorporate into your party planning depending on the ages of your guests and the number of people attending your party.
- Invitations: Send out Cinco de Mayo themed invitations to your guests a few weeks before the big event. These invitations can include imagery of a sombrero, maracas, or margarita glass depending on the type of fiesta that you want to host. For the invitation wording on your Cinco de Mayo party invitations, choose phrases like "You're invited to a Mexican fiesta!" and "Let's celebrate Cinco de Mayo with a party!" to get your guests excited for the party.
- Decorations: Decorate with festive streamers, Mexican art, flags, and rugs at your Cinco de Mayo themed party. Use bright colors like red, orange, green, and yellow for the tablecloth and other party supplies. You can also hang up a banner that says “Bienvenidos” for when guests walk into the front door. Another great idea is to hang a bull piñata outdoors for the kids to play with during the party. Have a variety of sombreros lying around for people to wear if they want to during the party. If this is a birthday or graduation party, have a special sombrero for the guest of honor to wear. Another idea is to place a vase full of bright and colorful flowers as your table centerpiece. Play some mariachi or other Mexican music in the background of your fiesta.
- Food/Drinks: A great idea for a Cinco de Mayo party is to set up a Margarita Bar if all of the guests are over 21. If you are serving sandwiches, pizza, desserts, etc., you can also stick a small Mexican flag in the food to make them look more festive for your Cinco de Mayo party theme. A “create your own fajitas” station is another terrific idea for your fiesta. Set out warm tortillas, grilled chicken or steak, chipotle sour cream, homemade guacamole, shredded Mexican cheese and of course chips and salsa. Instruct guests to pick and choose what ingredients they want to have in their fajitas and to put them on a plate. Here's an easy recipe that will make your fajitas sizzle:
Chipotle Sour Cream
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
In medium bowl, combine sour cream, chipotle chiles, cilantro and garlic; mix until well blended. Cover and refrigerate several hours to let flavors marry.
Don't forget to visit Punchbowl for colorful Cinco de Mayo party invitations!
Sign up and we'll send more inspiration straight to you.Sign up now