Harry Potter Birthday Party
A Harry Potter birthday party is the perfect theme for your little wizard. Make your own Hogwarts-inspired celebration complete with potions, magic, and wizard wands. Here are some easy Harry Potter birthday party ideas to help you throw a wizard-worthy bash.
- Invitations: Send out your Harry Potter birthday-themed invites 3-4 weeks in advance. Be sure to give them some Hogwarts flare by using a calligraphy font on an antique-looking invitation design. Try these Wizard Student online invitations! For the wording say, “You’re invited to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for a celebration in honor of (NAME) birthday!”
- Decorations: Create themed signage throughout your party with black poster board and markers. Have a sign on your front door that reads "Platform 9 3/4" and another sign at the entrance of the party that reads, “Welcome to The Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.” Place additional signs that have the names of each of the Hogwart houses, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Sort the kids into their respective houses and have a table for each one. Play games and tally up points to see who wins the House Cup. To help transform the space, even more, hang balloon bouquets in Harry Potter theme colors (red, yellow, and black) on the chairs, tables, and railings. For your table décor, make potion jars using various-sized glass jars, labels, household food items, and some creativity. A few examples of potions are “cat eyeballs” using canned baby onions, and “blood and guts” using spaghetti pasta and red sauce. For a final touch, put a wizard stick and a wizard hat at each place setting so the kids can dress up while celebrating.
- Food & Beverage: Make your Harry Potter party food fun and festive by drawing inspiration from the story. Have a mix of hearty dishes and magical candies that were mentioned in the book. Things like cauldron cakes, acid pops, licorice wizard wands, jelly slugs, cockroach clusters, herbology crudité, and pumpkin pasties. These can all be made out of regular food items, just be creative with the presentation and the names. For drinks serve wizard punch made out of fruit juice and pumpkin juice made with orange soda. For a fun snack or DIY Harry Potter party favor, create "wands" made out of pretzel sticks dipped in chocolate. Tie them up in a nice bow or present each one in a box like Mr. Ollivander. Remember, the wand chooses the wizard!
- Dessert: Create a Harry Potter birthday cake to complete your wizard-themed celebration. To do this, bake either a yellow or chocolate double-layer cake and frost it with chocolate frosting. For your cake topper, make a wizard hat by dipping an ice cream cone in melted chocolate and letting it harden. Once the hat is ready, draw a lightning bolt on the front with yellow frosting. Place the wizard hat on the top of the cake. Use red and yellow frosting to decorate around the wizard hat to complete your Harry Potter cake design.
- Games: Quidditch is the perfect Harry Potter party game to play during the wizard celebration. Ideally, you want to play the game outside or in a large space so the kids have lots of room to run around. You can also adjust the rules of the game to fit the space and age of the children.
Let the children's imaginations take over while they snack on goodies and cast spells on each other!
Love this article?
Sign up and we'll send more inspiration straight to you.Sign up now